Forever Marked: A Dermatillomania Diary

Forever Marked: A Dermatillomania Diary - Angela Hartlin

I need to stay true to myself by standing up for what I believe in, even if it means standing alone.

Brutally honest and beautifully insightful. Hartlin's journal provides a touching, unflinching account of her experiences with the impulsive skin-picking disorder, Dermatillomania.

Value is further added to this book by just how little information exists on this silenced disorder. It's only been recognized as a disorder in recent times (and only as a sub-category in the DSM), is poorly understood, not widely known about (even among health professionals) and lacks sufficient research. Furthermore, it only affects a small portion of the population (an estimated 1.4%), with considerable stigma and shame surrounding it. Thus, Forever Marked provides a source of hope for those suffering from this disorder. It shows that we are not alone in this fight, and that we all are more than our scars.

While there are sections in this book that may trigger some individuals, I believe this is a worthwhile read for anyone with, who knows someone with, or is interested in learning more about, this disorder.

P.S. I wrote a nice long review and then I had a not-so-well timed browser crash, so here lies a slightly shorter one. May the old version R.I.P.