Darkfever

Darkfever (Fever #1) - Karen Marie Moning

Okay, so put simply, I really loved this book and am dying to get my hands on the rest of the series.

That being said, I have a few complaints:

•     It was short, way too short. Though it was a handy book for taking out and about; nice and purse-sized!
  • There were times when I felt certain characters were a bit obnoxious even though they probably shouldn't have been - aka, I wanted to slap them
  • I was really hoping for more romance/smut, though my hope in this regard has not faded for the rest of the series

Now that those petty complaints are out of the way, I'd like to tell you all why I LOVED this book.

The characters were really well rounded - I felt emotionally connected to them, which drew me into this book from the beginning. Even the less loveable characters added to the atmosphere and power of the world. Mac was witty, a good laugh and she got me vouching for her, though at times she needed a good shaking (as do most protagonists, alas!). Then again, anyone that goes across the world to find a loved one's killer is a winner in my books.

In the end, what really made this book for me is the beautifully intricate world (oh and the delicious Barrons!). Moning crafts a city of great elegance and yet one that is deeply disturbing. That is, before she even gets to her imaginings of the supernatural variety! Combined with an enthralling plot full of twists and turns, this is one hell of a book.

Come to the Dark Zone. We have Barrons.